Fitness Blog IconInstagram-Logo-1indexj]blog-lovin-icon_zpsbf482c6a

Features

Thursday, March 20, 2014

DIY Fashionista Cut Out and Keep Interview

This week I was featured on the DIY Fashionista of Cut Out and Keep. Check it out here:

 Imogen from Tia Cherie
 P1130915

P1130924

P1130911


How would you describe your style?
My style is feminine, dressy, colourful and vintage inspired. I love polka dots, rainbow stripes, pearls, bows, pretty dresses, sparkly cardigans, kitty cat print, unicorns and glitter so I try and incorporate these elements into my looks as much as possible. My signature look consists of a fit and flare dress in a bright colour or fun pattern, a hair flower and heels or ballet flats (with an embellished cardigan thrown in for good measure in the colder weather).

What's your favourite piece in your wardrobe?
This is a very difficult question because my wardrobe is my pride and joy! I’d have to say my genuine vintage dress from the 1940s. It’s pink with white polka dots and features an oversized collar, a purple velvet sash, a full skirt and ballerina length. It has a real princess feel. I wish I had more opportunities to wear it. It has so much history and character. I often think about the life my dress once had during the 1940s in the US; an interesting thought. 

Who are your style icons?
My style icons are definitely other bloggers much more than celebrities. See my answer below for the fashion blogs that I read and which inspire me. However, if I was to choose a celebrity I’d say Taylor Swift. . While she is very beautiful and clearly interested in fashion, she isn’t totally obsessed with herself like a lot of people in the public eye. I believe this is a form of inner beauty; her classiness, self-worth and professionalism shine through and inspire me. In terms of fashion, I adore many of her timeless and vintage inspired pieces; one of my absolute favourites was her 1950s style yellow dress paired with red heels which was rather reminiscent of Belle from Beauty and the Beast. The time she wore white kitty cat shoes, made my already existing love for feline related fashion items, grow even more. I also love many of her sparkly pieces and she sure has worn a number of sparkly dresses over the years. I still adore her look all the way back from the 2009 Country Music Awards. I love how she often opts for timeless makeup, particularly the classic red lips. I love how she channels her curly hair but also experiments with straight hair (on occasion) and a myriad of stunning up styles. I was so inspired by her buns and cascading curls when choosing the hairstyles for my wedding party in 2012.

Do you have any favourite designers?
In terms of designers, I’m completely drawn to bags and shoes. My dream is to one day own a classic Chanel quilted bag. I also love Dior, Marc by Marc Jacobs, Kate Spade and Charlotte Olympia. The collections of Oscar de la Renta often capture my attention. I love the Spring 2014 collection. The ruffles, vibrant colours, bold patterns, beautiful silhuttes, embroidery work, eyelet details, full skirts and wearability are true features.

Where are your favourite places to shop for new clothes clothes?
My favourite places to shop for new clothes are the Australian stores Alannah Hill and Review. I wish I could own every single piece from all of their collections; they are a true representation of my personal style. I also like visiting their factory outlets and websites (www.alannahhill.com.au and www.review-australia.com). Dangerfield (dangerfield.com.au) and Forever New (www.forevernew.com.au) also have some good pieces. In terms of online shopping undoubtedly Modcloth is the best (http://www.modcloth.com/). It is always so reliable when it comes to finding that unique, creative and genius piece! 

Do you make or customise your outfits?
I don’t make clothes because my sewing skills are very limited; I’ve made a couple of very basic skirts in the past but I wasn’t particularly happy with the quality of them. I wish I could make a dress. I see so many beautiful fabrics that I’d love to transform into dresses. This is my very long term goal. I’ve customised a number of pieces particularly cardigans. I often add sparkles, trim, embellishments and buttons. I love how it creates a personalised touch and adds so much to a look. 

Do you have any great tips for mixing up and personalising an outfit?    
In order to personalise an outfit it is important to develop your own sense of style. My number one tip would be to style yourself in a way which suits you and reflects your true personality as opposed to what the current trends dictate. For example, I have the same hairstyle and makeup most days. It’s become my signatory look and having a style which represents me provides a great sense of joy. That’s not to say your image should be entirely regimented; of course it’s fun to experiment with news trends as frequently as you desire. All I’m saying is if there’s a certain aspect of fashion which you love and which makes you, you, then go with it. In terms of mixing up an outfit, try and see your wardrobe as a set of interchangeable pieces. Some of the best outfits are created by pairing items which we wouldn’t normally expect to go together. A few of my favourite combinations- pink & red and stripes & florals would fall under this category. 

Dangerfield Skirt
Mimco Heels
DIY Sequin Cardigan

39 comments:

Green Tea and Cupcakes said...


I loved your answers, especially the last one. We all get caught up with new trends and sometimes they are just not right for our body shape or height and we need to work out what suits us.

The Style Rawr said...

Oooh, you look so cute, I love all the colours! I'm definitely inspired by fellow bloggers. Taylor always looks lovely!

Tara x

Unknown said...

you look amazing!
Visit my blog: Tu Nuevo Look
Follow me Facebook Tunuevolook

Ali Hval said...

I agree with your last question on styling yourself--it's so much more important to style what you want to wear instead of what's trendy, and I think you always stay true to that. I adore the color of your skirt. Have a great rest of the week, lovely!

Vision By Mila said...

Lovely!

Sam said...

This colourfully sequined cardigan is so pretty and versatile with any outfit, great answers, I adore your feminine retro style.

Panty Buns said...

I hadn't realised that you liked vintage and Taylor Swift as much as you do. I've known for quite some time that you have an excellent eye for fashion and colour combinations. I love how the colours of your green Dangerfield skirt and lavender (or are they radiant orchid?) Mimco heels complement each other.
I knew from your previous posts that you loved a lot of fashions from Alannah Hill and about your preference for the feminine fashions that I also find pretty but it's nice learning more via your answers from the DIY Fashionista Cut Out and Keep interview. Great answers - congrats on being featured!

http://www.full-brief-panties.blogspot.com/

Pilar Domínguez said...

You have described perfectly well your style!and I love it. So femenine, always!! Lovely combination. Kisses:)

Pooja Mittal said...

Great answers doll... Even I get my inspiration from all my fellow blogger..
You look great , pretty and girly
Keep in touch
www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com

Alexandra Zakharova said...

You keep surprising me with your elegant, feminine style:) You look very pretty, like the beautiful flower:) I knew that you love vintage, it's easy too see. I'm with you in here:)
By the way, I fall in love with that pair of shoes, so gorgeous)
Have a fabulous time!

Launna said...

Really great answers Imogen... you definitely are girly and feminine.. you always look really cute to me :)

Anonymous said...

Love this outfit! That top and skirt are great

http://helderschicplace.blogspot.com/

Emmylou said...

Cool feature, Imogen:) And I didn't know you like Taylor Swift. I do think she has great style, especially lately:)

Vita said...

Wow, congrats! I hope you will expand your sewing skills, it's not that difficult, really - just don't be too critical, even store-bought pieces are not perfect. :)

thehonorableMissDecaf said...

Great job, dearie! :D

love.,
a

www.missdecaf.blogspot.com

trishie said...

So true about developing personal sense of style...congrats on the
feature!

PS: Wow your cardigan is so much fun!

FASHION TALES said...

Oh, what a lovely read Imogen. Congrats on the feature. I love Cut Out & Keep. Your shoes are my favourite as well.
xx/Madison

Couture Carrie said...

Congrats on your feature, darling!
Lovely look and responses... especially enjoyed learning your favorite designers!

xoxox,
CC

Things and Thoughts said...

You look so great! You are a fresh young girl who inspires...Thank you for your kind comment on my blog!
Olympia

AVY said...

Adorable, you're one of my favorite girly girls.

/ Avy
http://MyMotherFuckedMickJagger.blogspot.com




Rowena @ rolala loves said...

Another sweet look and what a fun interview! I totally agree with what you said about developing your won sense of style.

Rowena @ rolala loves

Miche said...

So cute! That sequin cardigan is adorable!
PS I'm currently hosting a giveaway for a $25 Target Gift Card!Check it out here!

Red Rose Alley said...

What a great interview, Imogen. Those pink pumps you are wearing are fabulous. I love that you wear vintage inspired clothes, and I'm a polka dot girl too. I have been looking for a cute pair of white shoes to wear to a fundraiser coming up, and haven't found any yet.

Happy spring day, sweetie.

love,
~Sheri

Larissa said...

Wonderful post dear! Both the glitter look and the interview!
Lots of love and enjoy your weekend!

Debbie said...

So exciting for you!! Our styles are very different as I am a very casual dresser!! Another beautiful, colorful look for you!!

Kierra Makayla said...

Really like your top, Imogen!

www.lavishingg.com
xoxo

The AnarCHIC said...

Great interview, Imogen. your style is so girly, pretty and fun.. we love it! awesome! We follow you via Bloglovin'... keep in touch.
Un abbraccio,
Eva e Valentina the anarCHIC

Selvaggia Capizzi said...

Congrats in the feature and great interview!!!

Anonymous said...

Lovely outfit <3

Debbie Stinedurf said...

I am so in love with that cardigan! Beautiful as always!
Debbie
www.fashionfairydust.blogspot.com

Midnight Cowgirl said...

Congratulations on the feature!

Cat Eyes & Skinny Jeans said...

Congrats on the feature doll! I'm in love with the outfit pictures featured - such a stylish look!!

xx

Glam up your Lifestyle said...

Great questions, great answers.
You look fantastic
http://glamupyourlifestyle.blogspot.de/

Michelle Vinnetan said...

You look beautiful ♥ and im agree with you . I loved taylor swift too ♡ her style is good

xoxo
theanotherpartofme.blogspot.com

The Fashion Stir Fry said...

Your skater skirt is so cute but most of all the top is magical. Interesting Q&A.

http://www.thefashionstirfry.com

Unknown said...

great post. would you like to follow each other ? xo

http://fleuryina.blogspot.de

The Dainty Dolls House said...

So pretty. I loved your answers doll, congrats on the feature :)) xx

Jeannette said...

Love your Hairstyle and nice Post

FOLLOW ME
http://rimanerenellamemoria.blogspot.de
https://www.facebook.com/Rimanerenellamemoria
http://www.bloglovin.com/en/blog/4028614

Elegance and Mommyhood said...

I absolutely love the sequined cardigan & teal skater skirt. You did a great job with that cardi. I am liking the combo of teal with hot pink which is new for me. I am keeping this in mind. =)

Take care, Ada. =)